MT. PLEASANT, Mich.,––Did you know... April is National Car Care Month? Your vehicle endures many hardships throughout the winter season. All that corrosive road salt, slippery ice, and heavy snow is gone, leaving our roads filled with nasty and dangerous potholes. These potholes are your tires' worst nightmare! Ensure your car is ready to take on Michigan roads this spring season by getting it up to speed with this tire maintenance checklist for National Car Care Month:
1. Perform Routine Tire Rotations
- It is recommended that you rotate your vehicle's tires every 3,000-7,000 miles or every other oil change. Tires tend to wear unevenly, which is why it's important to rotate them to ensure they wear more evenly across all four of them. This will produce better handling overall. Bring your car into our service center for a tire rotation!
2. Check Out Your Tire Tread
- Your tire's tread is what allows you to grip the road, serving as a buffer between both surfaces that keeps you safe during various weather patterns. If your vehicle has low tire tread, you'll be put at a higher risk of hydroplaning or losing grip during rainy conditions this spring! It can also increase your stopping distance, making it more difficult to stop in an emergency situation. Check your tire's tread using the penny method or have our team of experts inspect them for you!
- The air pressure in your tires can become effected from various temperatures. It's critical that you maintain the recommended tire pressure at all times as it will improve your fuel economy, decrease risk for tire issues, and provide a much smoother ride as a whole. You can find the recommended PSI for your car's tires in the owner's manual. It's a good idea to check your air pressure in your tires every month or so. Our service team can fill up your tires if they are in need of some air!
4. Change Your Tires
- Have you taken off your winter tires yet? If not, it's time to do so. Winter tires are only meant to handle 45 degrees Fahrenheit and below. We recommend switching back to all-season tires. If you're in need of a new set, our service experts will be happy to get your vehicle into brand-new tires! We highly recommend replacing all four at the same time, allowing for even tread wear.
Staying up-to-date with tire maintenance will ensure their effectiveness when gripping the road and will help extend their life down the road. Spring weather tends to bring slippery road conditions, making it crucial that your vehicle is up to speed on spring car care! Use our tire maintenance checklist for National Car Care Month to make sure you've covered all the bases. Consult our tire care page for more tips on maintaining your car this season. Don't forget to schedule an appointment online with our service team for a tire rotation, new set of wheels, or any other maintenance needs you may have!
Hank Graff Mt. Pleasant we strive to provide our customers with a car buying experience that is accommodating, stress-free and fun! Visit us at our Chevrolet dealership located at 4580 E Pickard Rd in Mount Pleasant, Michigan 48858 or our Buick GMC Cadillac dealership located at 116 N. Mission St in Mount Pleasant, MI 48858.