1. Deer are generally most active during dusk and dawn hours, so it is important to be particularly alert during your morning and evening commutes to and from work and home.
2. Where there is one, there will likely be more. Deer usually travel in groups, so if you see a deer make sure to slow down and keep an eye out for more since they will most likely be nearby.
3. Staying alert, constantly scanning the road, and utilizing your high beams when there is no opposing traffic, can help you spot a deer that may be lurking near the side of the road. If you see any illuminated eyes or dark shadows, slow down and be prepared to stop.
4. One of the worst, and most dangerous, things you can do to avoid hitting a deer is swerve. Chances are, you will end up hitting another vehicle, tree, or other object, which can be a more serious collision than hitting the deer. The best thing you can do is to brake firmly, stay in your lane, and hold the steering wheel steady until you come to a controlled stop.
5. If you do get into an accident with a deer, make sure to turn on your emergency flashers and pull over to the side of the road so that other vehicles can see you. Stay in your vehicle, and never approach the deer.
6. Last but not least, remember that in your Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, or GMC vehicle, you can press the OnStar button for assistance in any type of situation.
We want all of our friends and neighbors to stay safe this season as deer activity nears its peak with our deer season driving tips. If you want the peace of mind knowing your vehicle will protect you through any season, come see us to learn more about all of the extensive safety systems that General Motors has to offer. If you have unfortunately hit a deer, and need collision service, we can help fix the damage and get you back on the road in no time. You can ensure your car runs safe by taking care of routine maintenance. We would be happy to take care of all your auto service.
At Hank Graff Mt. Pleasant we strive to provide our customers with a car buying experience that is accommodating, stress-free and fun! Visit us at our Chevrolet dealership located at 4580 E Pickard Rd in Mount Pleasant, Michigan 48858 or our Buick GMC Cadillac dealership located at 116 N. Mission St in Mount Pleasant, MI 48858.