MT.PLEASANT, MI – Michigan winters can be ruthless with their freezing temperatures and piles of snow. Winter isn’t just rough on us, though; it can be hard on your car, too. Fortunately, we have some great winter car tips to ready you for the cold that will help you have a safe and enjoyable season.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. Having one of these will be a lifesaver if something goes wrong. A few things that should be in this kit include a flashlight, flares, engine oil, and jumper cables, to name a few. Here’s a full list from the DMV: http://bit.ly/1hsqZgT.
- Check your belts and hoses. Your vehicle's belts and hoses should be checked every time you get a tune-up, but just to be safe, check them again when the weather turns cold. Freezing temperatures can crack and loosen belts and hoses, and if those break you’re stuck on the side of the road.
- Replace windshield wiper blades. Every six months your wiper blades undergo wear and tear and should be replaced. Without properly working wipers, you’re putting yourself and other drivers at risk when it snows.
- Fill your car with antifreeze. Antifreeze keeps your engine from freezing in the chilly weather. It’s usually mixed with water at a 50/50 ratio. The good news is most places sell antifreeze already mixed with the water so you don’t have to measure it out.
- Check your battery. Batteries can last about three to five years. During the cold winter months your battery has to work much harder. If your battery is getting close to the end of its life, you should replace it before the weather gets too bad.
- Invest in snow tires. Snow tires help greatly with traction, braking, and driver control, which are all very beneficial when driving in a snowstorm. Having the proper tires keeps you and other drivers safe.
Follow our winter car tips to ready you for the cold and you’ll stay safe and warm in your vehicle all season long. If you need any last minute auto service done come to our Isabella County used car dealer and we’ll take care of anything you need.
Websites: Chevrolet: HankGraffMtPleasant.com and Buick GMC Cadillac: GraffBGC.com
Follow us on: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, and YouTube