MT. PLEASANT, Mich -- While you're tackling that spring cleaning list for your home, there's some spring car care that should make it to your to-dos as well! We all spend the winter season dreaming of the road trips and adventures we'll experience once the warmer months roll around, but before you hit the road to catch those sun rays, you should make sure your car is up to the task. Winter weather can have some detrimental effects on your vehicle, but if you follow this checklist, your car should be ready for whatever travel plans your spring and summer months hold.
- Have Your Steering and Suspension Inspected: Due to the freeze/thaw cycles that make up the majority of Michigan winters, potholes are a constant issue. Hitting these obstructions can severely damage your steering and suspension, but our service experts can get your vehicle back in alignment in no time.
- Repair Dings and Dents: Harsh winter weather can lead to minor car body damage. While this doesn't necessarily affect the way your vehicle runs, it can decrease the aesthetics of your vehicle and thus, the value of your car.
- Check Your A/C: There is nothing more disappointing than turning on your A/C once the summer months roll around and feeling nothing but hot air. Turn on the A/C and run the fan on all speeds. If something seems amiss, our certified service center would be happy to take care of the necessary repairs.
- Change Windshield Wipers: The seemingly neverending downpour of hail, snow, and sleet can seriously mar your wipers, not to mention, you may want to purchase some new ones to prep for those spring showers that are on their way!
- Tire Maintenance: Tires are the only point of contact between you and the road, so it's important that they're kept in good condition. Check the pressure of all them, including your spare, and make sure the tread is in good condition as well.
- Inspect Air Filter: A clogged air filter can severely affect a car's performance and reduce your gas mileage by up to 10%!
- Check Belts and Hoses: Cold temperatures can harden and/or damage rubber so make sure you check your belts and hoses for hardening, softening, leaks, cracks, blistering, or any other visible damage.
- Inspect Your Battery: Cold temperatures can really do a number on your battery so make sure you have it tested. It's also a good idea to double check that it's properly mounted and that the connections are clean, tight, and corrosion-free.
- Check Your Fluids: It can be easy to slack on keeping track of the level of your vehicle's fluids during the winter months, but once spring rolls around it's essential that you make sure they're all newly changed and topped off. This includes your oil, washer fluid, and coolant.
- Get a Full Detail: You're cleaning your house from top to bottom, so why not your vehicle too? Collected dirt, dust, and grime on your vehicle can cause major damage including rust to the exterior of your vehicle and create deterioration inside your vehicle as well.
Want some more in-depth Spring Car Care tips or are you ready to schedule a Spring service appointment for your vehicle at Graff Mt. Pleasant? Click here: http://bit.ly/2Tq5WXN
At Hank Graff Mt. Pleasant we strive to provide our customers with a car buying experience that is accommodating, stress-free and fun! Visit us at our Chevrolet dealership located at 4580 E Pickard Rd in Mount Pleasant, Michigan 48858 or our Buick GMC Cadillac dealership located at 116 N. Mission St in Mount Pleasant, MI 48858.